A pocket watch should be something that you treasure. Please remember these points to maintain the longevity of your pocket watch:
- Mechanical pocket watches should be wound daily but be careful not to over wind as this can cause damage to the inner workings.
- Carry open face pocket watches with the dial facing inwards. This will protect the crystal from damage.
- A pocket watch should never be placed inside a pocket with other articles that could cause damage such as keys or coins.
- Pocket watches with covers should be treated respectfully. Never force the cover beyond the limit that it can open. Damage can occur to the hinge or spring alignment and this could cause the cover not to close properly.
- Clean the outside of the pocket watch using a soft cloth.
- Pocket watches should be stored when not worn, either in an appropriate box, pouch or on pocket watch stand where it can still be used as a beautiful time piece.
- Pocket watches should not come into contact with perfumes or deodorants. The crystal can be affected and the metal can also be damaged.
- Always make sure your pocket watch is secured by a fob to a waistcoat, lapel or belt loop to avoid dropping your watch and causing damage.